Facts and figures about the landmark
The construction of this Wiener Neustadt landmark was decided by the municipal council a few months after the first section of the deep well water pipeline went into operation, and was carried out in 1909/1910 by the Koblischek company based on plans by Viennese architects Siegfried Theiß and Hans Jaksch. It was finally put into operation on 13 December 1910, improving both the supply capacity and the hygienic situation. The city was thus able to provide clean drinking water and supply it to multi-storey buildings. The water tower was destroyed during bombing raids in March 1945 and could not be put back into operation until April 1951. To this day, the 50-metre-high tower, once part of the Emperor Franz Joseph water pipeline, is a regulating reservoir from which the well pumps are switched on and off.
On its 111th birthday, the water tower was staged in a rousing show with water, fire and light effects, accompanied by artists from the city, in a way that people will not soon forget – the 30-metre-high water fountain, accompanied by a drum roll, could not have been more impressive as the city's calling card.